Monday, December 31, 2012

The Next Big Thing Blog hop!

I cannot believe I scheduled two bloghops for the same time!! OOPS, I need a secretary. :p Anyway...

My good friend Vivienne Westlake asked me to participate in the Next Big Thing Blog Hop today. Check out her post from last week to see what she’s working on.

She asked me a few questions about what I’ve been writing recently, so here it goes…

What is the working title of your book?
Forbidden: Genesis Trilogy

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I love circus'. In fact, I worked in a carnival several years ago in high school and the stories the old guys told during lunch, the things they'd seen and done, the world they'd traveled. In my mind, at seventeen, I romanticized it. How exciting all the new places would be, but also, how dangerous it could be too. I've always been heavy into fantasy and paranormal and decided it would be really cool to read about a story that tied my love of those stories with my love of the paranormal underbelly. Of course with a generous sprinkling of romance in there as well. ;) Thus, forbidden was germinated and it's been sitting on the back burner for over a decade now... waiting until the day I felt my writing could do my idea justice. Several months ago I decided it was time and in nearly 6 weeks have almost completed the novel.

What genre does your book fall under?

Paranormal Romance Young Adult

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Flint DeLuca: Marion cotillard

Cain: I always have a hard time with picking male actors, so I'll let you all decide when you read the book. He's got dark hair, peircing blue eyes, and muscular. :D


What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

His kiss might be her doom...

Favorite paragraph from your book.


She rolled her eyes. “Then I’ll walk.”

“Like. Hell.” The mint of his breath tickled her lips as he thrust his face close to hers again. She inhaled greedily, wishing it was a kiss.

His lips curled, exposing his canines. They weren’t sharp and pointed, like she almost expected them to be. It would be so much easier to believe that he was some sort of vampire enthralling her to feel these things. Lightheaded and dizzy, clueless and  hopeless, desperate longing so sharp it cut like a knife through her heart… but no, what she felt was impossibly human.

Flint was attracted to the forbidden.

And Cain was the fruit she shouldn’t eat but desperately wanted.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
Indie pubbed all the way. ;)

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I'm not quite done yet. But it's in its final stages. I'd say another 3-4 weeks will finish it off.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Hmm... I'm not sure. I read a ton of YA, but none with a carnival setting. Umm... maybe things like Twilight, Beautiful Creatures, The Lux Series... contemporary fantasy/paranormal.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I write books I want to read. A few months ago I was browsing around for romance YA set in a carnival with paranormal creatures and couldn't find much. So I decided to just knuckle down and write it.


What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
There are different paranormal creatures in this one. There are no vampires, or werewolves. Which are awesome but I wanted to give the readers something new. So I'm writing about the hive (based on the Aswang legend) and beserkers. It's been fun delving into new and different mythology and makes the geek girl in me get all happy. :D

Blurb:

Flint DeLuca has only ever known one way of life, the circus. She's a tightrope walker and used to seeing the extraordinary happen everyday. Or so she thinks. That is until the day she meets Cain. Dark and mysterious there's something about the brooding loner that calls to her. But there's more to Cain than just the attitude, there's a dangerous secret he keeps. A world mortals should never know. Flint doesn't know what he is, and deep down she knows she should stay away, but like the old saying goes... the sweetest fruit is always forbidden.


Here are a few other authors participating in The Next Big Blog Hop. Check out their blogs on January 2nd to see what projects they are currently working on.

Lea Griffith-
Lea Griffith began sneaking to read her mother’s romance novels at a very young age. She cut her teeth on the greats: McNaught, Woodiwiss and Garwood. As she got older, her need to devour all genres of romance–including contemporary, paranormal and sci/fi–grew. Any romance novels she couldn’t buy were borrowed or traded in her quest to read about that elemental emotion that keeps us strong: love. She still has most of those books; dog-eared, their pages yellowed with age, they still bring her joy.
Lea lives with her husband and three teenage daughters in rural Georgia and she writes her own stories now. With two dogs, a cat and a beta fish named Coddy George, there is never a dull moment. When she’s not working her day job you can usually find Lea at her keyboard, using every spare second to write. Shifters, artificial intelligence, and gene splicing, oh my! Nothing is off-limits when it comes to her writing

Jennifer Blackstream-
Jennifer Blackstream is a psychology enthusiast with both a B.A. and M.A. in Psychology. Her fascination with the human mind is most appeased through the study of mythology and folklore as well as all of Terry Pratchett’s novels.

Jennifer enjoys listening to Alice Cooper, trying new recipes (to which she will add garlic whether it calls for it or not), watching television with her family, and playing with her woefully intelligent three year old son.

Jennifer spends most of her time drinking coffee from her X-Men mug and desperately trying to get all her ideas written down before her toddler can find that all magical button on her laptop to make all her work vanish.

A.J. Locke-
A.J. Locke is a writer of Adult Urban Fantasy, an avid reader, and artist. And her books seriously rock! Her novel, Affairs of the Dead, will be published by Etopia Press in 2013.
 
Happy reading!
~Marie

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for participating in the blog hop!

susanaellisauthor@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Oh, that was a nice way to introduce us to your book and characters. :)

Happy 2013!
morebooksthanlivros@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for introducing me to some names I'm going to check into reading. danelle. chickyskitchen@yahoo.com

laurie said...

thanks for participating in the blog hop

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

magic5905 said...

Thanks for the great hop.
magic5905 at embarqmail dot com

Tabitha said...

Happy New Year to you. I don't normally read YA, but I'm intrigued and can't wait to check it out along with the rest of the Kingdom books. :D

Unknown said...

Tabitha, first off.... congratulations again on your recent marriage. :D Secondly, YA... oh, you don't know what you're missing. If you want to give it a shot I suggest you start with Jennifer Armentrout's Lux or Covenant Series. They're fantastic!

And you're so sweet. ;)

Tabitha said...

Thanks again. I have a few YA books that I've read. Heather Killough-Walden has a few that I have read. I have a lot of books to read both in print and on the Kindle. lol. I'll Keep Jennifer in mind. I like reading good well thought out stories. Have a wonderful day.